It is always true that where ever Gujarati lives you will see Gujarat (or thepala) .
But, here I’m talking something different. Gujarat is considered as dry state(?? come on at least technically). And you would never think that any part of USA would be dry. You are partially wrong.
In USA, there are 100+ dry counties. The county is a like district in India. The county or local government has power to prohibit alcohol sell in the county. And that would decided by county resident whether to ban it or not. There are also many dry towns or cities. That means even city resident can pass a resolution to ban alcohol sell. Alcohol and Tobacco product are only sold to 18+ person and it is strictly followed every where in USA.
USA map displaying dry communities. Source: Wikipedia
But the twist in the story is, it is just limited to sell of alcohol not consumption of it. You can buy from wet county and consume it in dry county. Isn’t it interesting??
See below Wikipedia articles to satisfy your appetite.
What is a dry county?
List of dry communities.
Recently, I came across various Apple Inc related news and stats.
- Apple has a cash reserve of US$75.876-billion. At one point of time it had more cash on hand than US government. Precisely on Jul 28, 2011
- Apple wanted to, it could give $247 to each person in the USA.
- It is the biggest company as of August 10, 2011 surpassing Exxon. They had market capitalization of $337 billion, ahead of oil company Exxon Mobile at $344 billion.
- Since 2003, Apple stocks has gained 4,280%.
- It is the biggest technology company by far.
- Still it doesn’t have AAA rating from S&P(Poor apple). Currently only four US corporation Microsoft, Exxon Mobil, Johnson & Johnson and Automatic Data Processing has AAA.
- Apple can survive 3 years even they do not generate a dime.
Unfortunately, I don’t have any apple stock…
No…No…I didn’t commit any crime and wants to hide.
No where to hide from current issues going on the planet earth. It will affect you where ever you go.
- USA, Japan, Europe and many more – Economy
- India – Corruption, Inflation
- England – Economy, Riots
- Arab Countries – Political violence
- Almost all countries – Terrorism
- Latin America – Drugs, Mafia
Only one thing looks safe and free of all issue if you can survive – Antarctica.
God bless planet earth.
As per Wikipedia,
84 percent of the United States inhabitants live in suburban and urban areas, but cities occupy only 10 percent of the country. Rural areas occupy the remaining 90 percent.
In US, small towns in rural area are widely different from urban area. It has their own culture. Sometime it is better to live in rural area. The people in rural areas are little conservative.
- Peace of mind.
- No traffic jams. No tall buildings.
- No long commuting time and distance to and from work.
- Very low pollution.
- Low crime rate(?). I know my town has very low crime rate even though 14% people lives below poverty line.
- Low cost of living.
- If you have back/front yard, you can grow your own garden.
- Kind and peace-loving people.
- You have farmers market, where you will get fresh, organic(some time!!) and at reasonable price.
- Cows, horses and silos in farm fields (If you like it!!!).
- Not much to do in free time.
- You will not have much friends. Who prefers to work or do business in woods or in mountains???
- You don’t have choices for schools/college for you kids. This is what bothers me most.
- You will see more old people than young. In case of my town, median resident age is around 45 years.
- Limited health care resources. Limited to none specialist doctors.
- Cows, horses and silos in farm fields (If you don’t like it!!!).
Cons for Indians like us:
- It is difficult to get Indian grocery. I have to travel at least 60 miles to get Indian grocery. But, you don’t do that every day. Same thing if you want to offer prayer/complain to the god in mandir/temple.
- Sometime people will look at you like you are from different planet. I think that is why US government uses the term Alien to describe non-US person :-).